Arcata Community Forest VTS Workday
January 28 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Dear Wonderful Trail Stewards,
Happy New Year!
Our next workday is coming up Saturday, January 28, from 9 am – 12 (noon). It has been a wet and blustery beginning to 2023 . . . too wet to be in the forest and the Bay Trail North and Arcata Marsh need some attention. So that is where we will be. We will gather at the small parking lot just north of the City Corporation Yard (see my map). We will work rain or shine! We’ll be picking up trash, knocking back some invasives, and trimming blackberries canes before growth begins.
I encourage you to park in the AMIC (Arcata Marsh Interpretive Center) parking lot on South ‘G’ Street and walk over to the small parking lot in front of the entrance to the City of Arcata Corporation Yard.
COVID case counts remain elevated so let’s continue to be smart. Don’t attend if you are not feeling well. We will provide packaged snacks and have our usual supply of gloves. I would encourage you to bring water and your own gloves.
We are not restricting numbers but it is nice to know how many volunteers are coming so that we can better prepare tasks and tools . . . RSVP to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Elliott Levin will be coordinating the workday with support from Jonny Maiullo (and, possibly George Ziminsky). We hope to see many of you on the 28th! Thanks! Questions welcome . . .
Other Bay Trail News: The bid documents for construction of the final 4 miles of the Bay Trail are slated to go before the Board of Supervisors at their meeting next Tuesday. Once approved, bids will be solicited and if an acceptable bid comes in, construction would begin this summer. Very exciting!!
Other Work Days:
- Arcata Community Forest Trails: 4th Saturday of each month, except December. Meeting locations TBA. Contact Rees at email@example.com
- Eureka Waterfront Trail North (Tydd St. to Adorni Center): 3rd Saturday; 9-11 a.m. Meet at the foot of X Street in front of Blue Ox Mill. Contact Dennis at firstname.lastname@example.org or Pam at email@example.com
- Eureka Wharf Trail (“C” St to Del Norte St.): 1st Sunday; 9-11am. Contact Gail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hammond Trail (Arcata Bottoms to Clam Beach, McKinleyville): 1st Saturday, except January; 9-11 a.m. Meeting locations TBA. Contact Stacy at email@example.com
- Hikshari’ Trail (Truesdale St. to Elk River Park & Ride): 2nd Saturday, 9-11 a.m. Contact Mark Freitas at MFreitas@hrcllc.com
- Humboldt Coastal Nature Center/Friends of the Dunes Trails (Manila): Meeting locations and dates TBA. Call 444-1397 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lacks Creek (BLM) Trails Volunteer Work Days (Redwood Valley): Meeting locations and dates TBA. Contact Tom at T1philli@yahoo.com
- McKay Community Forest Trails (Eureka at Redwood Fields): 1st Saturday and Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 am – 2 pm. Contact Dennis at email@example.com or Rachael at firstname.lastname@example.org
- McKinleyville Land Trust Trails – Chah GAH Cho and Mad River Bluffs: Meeting locations and dates available by contacting Julie Neander at email@example.com
- Northcoast Regional Land Trust’s Freshwater Farms Reserve and Nature Trail: (5851 Myrtle Ave., Eureka): Dates TBA. Contact Matthew at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wigi Wetlands – Eureka & Redwood Region Audubon Society: (Intersection of Christie & Howell streets; behind the Bayshore Mall between Kohls & Sportsman’s Warehouse): 4th Saturday. Contact Jeremy at email@example.com